We have had a long year..... let's just leave it at that for now.
I want to talk about this man:
William Lawton Kendrick. Known as Lawton to friends, Dad to David and GrandDad to my kids.
This is a photo of him with Kaileigh when she first came to live with us. Can you see the love? Because I can. I have seen it every minute of the last 9 years when they looked at each other. God called him home on this past Tuesday. The world will never be the same.
This man loved my children so well. Hunter was his step-grandson, but he never made a difference between Hunter and the other kids. He would get onto him just as quick as the rest of them but he also loved him just as much. He was at every ballgame, school event or anything I can think of for Hunter up until David and I divorced in 2008 - rain or shine, Granddad was there - even if the rest of us wimped out or were exhausted by the thought of one more whatever, Granddad was there.
By the time David & I decided to do foster care, we were nervous about telling his family. His one sister is about the least supportive person anyone has ever dealt with in the history of the world and could find negativity in a miracle, so we were NOT excited about telling them. We were taking a family vacation when we decided to announce it, at least to his parents. I will never forget his dad's support. I cannot remember his exact words, but his sentiment and feelings on the subject were clear - it was basically "I am your dad and I am in your corner 100% - do what makes you happy and holy and I'll be here to hold the babies."
And hold those babies, he did. Every child who came into my home - young or old, black or white, happy or angry - they all were adored by Granddad and the feeling was mutual.
.jpg)
He was the best granddad my kids could have asked for. He was a phenomenal father in law and I know he was a wonderful father to David. If you have ever lived in Ashville Alabama, you know he was THE go to man for maintenance, grass-cutting, thermostat-settings and life lessons like "Tables are for eating, not for sitting."
He was a hands-on kind of guy. He was not afraid to get his hands dirty or to get in the floor with the kids. He even tried to teach Kaileigh to crawl:
.jpg)
He had a brain bleed or an aneurysm or stroke (I don't think the doctors ever decided which) in 2009 and he was never the same. He had memory issues and couldn't really work as well anymore. But it did not stop the love he had for his wife and children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
But in my mind's eye, whenever I think of my father-in-law, I will see this photo which so describes the relationship he had with us all......
.jpg)
It reminds me of the relationship we have with Christ. See that look of pure joy on my baby's face. She knew her "Dad-dad" (as she called him when she was a baby) was going to let her do her thing, go merrily on her way - give us our own freewill and choice. He was right beside her, leaning down, whispering in her ear - encouraging her, correcting her, and loving her. He was close enough to pick her up if she fell or to support her if she needed it.
I hope that our family honored him this week and I know we will see him again someday in Heaven.
If you want to see more photos (including some of David as a baby with his Daddy), you can check out the video tribute the funeral home did for us - for a few more weeks anyway:
William Lawton Kendrick

No comments:
Post a Comment