I love my kids.
Today was Sanctity of Human Life Sunday at our church.
It made me think about my own experiences with abortion - let me explain.
I got married in 1993 while I was a college junior. 11 months later, we found out we were expecting. My then husband freaked out. We were both in college, both worked full time & had little to no money - probably bc we spent it all on take-out & CDs. LOL My parents freaked out. My then SIL freaked out bc she was supposed to have the first grandchild (she was older than my husband - still haven't figured that out). My advisor freaked out. I was at risk of losing my scholarships - bc of the morality clause - excuse me???? I WAS MARRIED!!! anyway.... back to the subject at hand......
Abortion was mentioned & immediately, I dug in & said NO.....
Hunter was born 9 months (felt more like 9 years) later - seriously - that had to have been the longest recorded pregnancy on earth.... What on earth would I do without him? He is an awesome kid. Yeah, there are days I could just smack him, but he is an awesome kid. He has a heart for God and I know he will do great things once he grows into himself...... I love my son.
Then there is Kaileigh. You guys know she was adopted. Her birth parents are both diagnosed with mental retardation. They were teens and they were not married. The families live below poverty level and she was known to have congenital heart defects before she was born. Kaileigh's birth mom was advised to abort her. DHR offered to pay for it. Medicaid offered to pay for it. The OB/GYN office offered to do it for free. I thank God every day that she refused to do it.
Kaileigh has had a rough life - she has had multiple surgeries, we do tons of breathing treatments, we do speech therapy, occupational therapy, we see 7 medical specialists regularly...... But you know what, everyone who has ever met her has been touched by her heart, her spirit. Everyone who has regular contact with her is changed for the better.
She was fearfully and wonderfully made for a purpose that God determined before He even formed the world. So were we all. I am so privileged to be the mother of this special child.
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ok... thanks for making me cry!
ReplyDeleteI do love kaileigh! I had no idea that the whole world wanted her aborted! How terrible! Especially to try to convince a mentally retarded person to do that! OMG! Now I'm fired up :)
Kaileigh has never touched my heart more than when she randomly started singing "Oh No You Never Let Go" with all her heart and soul!
I just clicked on this to make a comment and noticed that the girl I share a brain (and a job with) has stolen my comment (Thanks, Ash).
ReplyDeleteWhen I read it that song started going through my head. My job is so much better because of that baby. We love her!!